Constituency Assistant - Chilliwack-Kent (0.5; External)
Chilliwack, British Columbia
26.55 - $31.47 hourly
A Constituency Assistant is a confidential employee responsible for the administration of the Constituency Office of a Member of the Legislative Assembly. This part-time role will play a large part in developing and implementing outreach planning, activities, and events. Skills in marketing, social media, and building relationships with community partners are an asset. A strong work ethic and a willingness to learn are essential.
Under the general supervision of the MLA, duties may include:
- Supporting the MLA’s work within their communities through community outreach and liaison.
- Preparing communications materials, including advertising, householders, and mailings by the MLA, newsletters, websites and social media accounts.
- Managing the day-to-day operations of the Constituency Office, including correspondence, bookkeeping, information management and other office duties, as required.
- Developing relationships with community partners and constituents.
- Providing assistance and advocacy for constituents in their dealings with the provincial government, either directly or through appropriate referrals.
- Providing information to constituents about provincial government legislation and policies, including the MLA and government’s position on provincial issues.
- Recruiting, training and supervising Constituency Office volunteers and practicum students, as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Kelli Paddon, MLA is committed to recruiting and developing employees that are representative of the diversity of the people of British Columbia.
To support employment equity and diversity in the workplace, we welcome applications from all groups. This includes women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with diversabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to diversity in the Chilliwack-Kent Constituency Office.
- Familiarity with the constituency of Chilliwack-Kent, its communities, demographics, and key issues.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to write clearly, concisely and professionally for a wide variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective information and advocacy strategies and to exercise diplomacy and political judgement.
- Ability to administer the various aspects of a community office. Specific skills in computers, word processing, bookkeeping and clerical functions, as well as graphics, social media and web-based functions would be an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with flexibility.
- Ability to interpret and explain complex policies and legislation, to adapt and learn new processes and applications, and to show initiative and ingenuity when confronted with problems or unique situations.
- Knowledge of the structure and policies of the New Democratic Party and a fundamental knowledge of the role of the three levels of government.
- Willingness to travel and work on weekends and holidays as required.
- Specific knowledge of significant cultures and languages within the constituency would be an asset.
- Benefits as per the collective agreement, pro-rated for part-time employees, including extended health and dental plan, BC Public Service Pension Plan, generous paid vacation, paid sick leave, and other paid leave provisions and benefits.
- This is a bargaining unit position: BCGEU Local 703.
- Regular hours are 17.5 hours per week.
- External posting closes at 4:00pm, Tuesday, March 9, 2021. Any qualified internal candidates will be considered and interviewed prior to the consideration of any external candidates.