Constituency Assistant - Nanaimo - Permanent Part Time (3 days/21 hours per week)
A Constituency Assistant is a confidential employee responsible for the administration of the Constituency Office of a Member of the Legislative Assembly.
Under the general supervision of the MLA, duties may include:
- Providing assistance and advocacy for constituents in their dealings with the provincial government, either directly or through appropriate referrals.
- Supporting the MLA’s work within their communities through community outreach and liaison.
- Providing information to constituents about provincial government legislation and policies, including the MLA and government’s position on provincial issues.
- Preparing communications materials, including advertising, householders, and mailings by the MLA, newsletters, websites and social media accounts.
- Managing the day-to-day operations of the Constituency Office, including correspondence, bookkeeping, information management and other office duties, as required.
- Recruiting, training and supervising Constituency Office volunteers and practicum students, as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Sheila Malcolmson, MLA is committed to recruiting and developing employees that are representative of the diversity of the people of British Columbia.
To support employment equity and diversity in the workplace, we welcome applications from all groups. This includes women, visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with diverse abilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to diversity in the Nanaimo Constituency office.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the demonstrated ability to write concisely and professionally for a wide variety of audiences, conveying social justice values.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective information and advocacy strategies and to exercise diplomacy and political judgement.
- Ability to administer the various aspects of a community Specific skills in database management, bookkeeping, graphics, social media and web-design would be an asset.
- Experience in social work would be an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with flexibility.
- Ability to interpret and explain complex policies and legislation, to adapt and learn new processes and applications, and to show initiative and ingenuity when confronted with problems or unique situations.
- Knowledge of the structure and policies of the New Democratic Party and a fundamental knowledge of the role of the three levels of government.
- Working experience with the constituency of Nanaimo, its communities, stakeholders, demographics, key issues, and Snuneymuxw First Nation.
- Willingness to travel and work on weekends and holidays as required.
- This position starts at 21 hours per week (0.6 FTE), with the possibility of moving to full-time (35 hours per week)
- Benefits as per the collective agreement.
- This is a bargaining unit position: BCGEU Local 702
- Posting closes at 4:00 pm Tuesday, February 1, 2022
- Only those applicants short-listed will be contacted. Any internal applicants will be considered prior to external candidates.