Constituency Assistant - Nanaimo (Regular Full Time 35 Hour/week)
A Constituency Assistant is a confidential employee responsible for the administration of the Constituency Office of a Member of the Legislative Assembly.
Under the general supervision of the MLA, duties may include:
- Providing assistance and advocacy for constituents in their dealings with the provincial government, either directly or through appropriate referrals.
- Supporting the MLA’s work within their communities through community outreach and liaison.
- Providing information to constituents about provincial government legislation and policies, including the MLA and government’s position on provincial issues.
- Preparing communications materials, including advertising, householders, and mailings by the MLA, newsletters, websites and social media accounts.
- Managing the day-to-day operations of the Constituency Office, including correspondence, bookkeeping, information management and other office duties, as required.
- Recruiting, training and supervising Constituency Office volunteers and practicum students, as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Sheila Malcolmson, MLA is committed to recruiting and developing employees that are representative of the diversity of the people of British Columbia.
To support employment equity and diversity in the workplace, we welcome applications from all groups. This includes women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with diversabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to diversity in the Nanaimo Constituency office.
- Knowledge of the structure and policies of the New Democratic Party and a fundamental knowledge of the role of the three levels of government.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to write clearly, concisely, and professionally for a wide variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective information and advocacy strategies and to exercise diplomacy and political judgement.
- Experience administering all aspects of a community office, including bookkeeping, budgeting, inventory management, and working with building management, vendors and suppliers. Specific skills in Microsoft Office and Teams, bookkeeping, and clerical functions, as well as graphics, social media and web-based functions is required.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with flexibility, including excellent time management and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to interpret and explain complex policies and legislation, to adapt and learn new processes and applications, and to show initiative and ingenuity when confronted with problems or unique situations.
- Demonstrated ability to take ownership over work responsibilities, including anticipating problems and developing solutions, seeking clarification, providing timely updates, and being accountable for actions and commitments.
- Familiarity with the constituency of Nanaimo, its communities, demographics, and key issues.
- Ability to travel and work on weekends and holidays as required.
- Specific knowledge of significant cultures and languages within the constituency.
- Benefits as per the collective agreement, including extended health and dental plan, BC Public Service Pension Plan, generous paid vacation, paid sick leave, and other paid leave provisions and benefits.
- This is a bargaining unit position: BCGEU Local 702.
- Posting closes at 4:00pm on Wednesday, March 22, 2023.
- Only those applicants short-listed will be contacted. Any qualified internal applicants will be considered prior to external applicants.
Applications for this position may be submitted at this link.