Constituency Assistant - Parksville-Qualicum (2 positions)
Parksville, British Columbia
$1,858.65 - $2,202.69 bi-weekly
A Constituency Assistant is a confidential employee responsible for the administration of the Constituency Office of a Member of the Legislative Assembly.
Under the general supervision of the MLA, duties may include:
- Providing assistance and advocacy for constituents in their dealings with the provincial government, either directly or through appropriate referrals.
- Supporting the MLA’s work within their communities through community outreach and liaison.
- Providing information to constituents about provincial government legislation and policies, including the MLA and government’s position on provincial issues.
- Preparing communications materials, including advertising, householders, and mailings by the MLA, newsletters, websites and social media accounts.
- Managing the day-to-day operations of the Constituency Office, including correspondence, bookkeeping, information management and other office duties, as required.
- Recruiting, training and supervising Constituency Office volunteers and practicum students, as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Adam Walker, MLA is committed to recruiting and developing employees that are representative of the diversity of the people of British Columbia.
To support employment equity and diversity in the workplace, we welcome applications from all groups. This includes women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with diversabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to diversity in the Parksville-Qualicum Constituency office.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to write clearly, concisely and professionally for a wide variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective information and advocacy strategies and to exercise diplomacy and political judgement.
- Ability to administer the various aspects of a community office. Specific skills in computers, word processing, bookkeeping and clerical functions, as well as graphics, social media and web-based functions would be an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with flexibility.
- Ability to interpret and explain complex policies and legislation, to adapt and learn new processes and applications, and to show initiative and ingenuity when confronted with problems or unique situations.
- Knowledge of the structure and policies of the New Democratic Party and a fundamental knowledge of the role of the three levels of government.
- Familiarity with the constituency of Parksville-Qualicum, its communities, demographics, and key issues.
- Willingness to travel and work on weekends and holidays as required.
- Proven experience with social media management on various platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, and TikTok.
- Ability to adapt to changing office policies quickly and efficiently, following policies and procedures as required
- Above average proficiency with computers including rapid touch typing ability
- Proven experience successfully working in a fast-paced high throughput office environment
- A team-based approach with excellent interoffice communication skills, ability to work effectively with others, and to communicate issues as they arise.
- Benefits as per the collective agreement, including extended health and dental plan, BC Public Service Pension Plan, generous paid vacation, paid sick leave, and other paid leave provisions and benefits.
- This is a bargaining unit position: BCGEU Local 702.
- Regular hours are 7 hours per day; 35 hours per week.
- Any qualified internal candidates will be considered and interviewed prior to the consideration of any external candidates.
- Apply early. Posting will remain open until positions are filled.