Constituency Assistant - Vancouver-False Creek (External; 20hrs/week)
Vancouver, British Columbia
26.55 - $31.47 hourly
A Constituency Assistant is a confidential employee responsible for the administration of the Constituency Office of a Member of the Legislative Assembly.
This part time CA will be primarily responsible for constituency communications. This includes creating content for the MLA’s social media, website, mailings, bi-monthly community newsletter, including creating video content.
Under the general supervision of the MLA, additional duties may include:
- Providing assistance and advocacy for constituents in their dealings with the provincial government, either directly or through appropriate referrals.
- Supporting the MLA’s work within their communities through community outreach and liaison.
- Providing information to constituents about provincial government legislation and policies, including the MLA and government’s position on provincial issues.
- Managing the day-to-day operations of the Constituency Office, including correspondence, bookkeeping, information management and other office duties, as required.
- Recruiting, training and supervising Constituency Office volunteers and practicum students, as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
Brenda Bailey, MLA is committed to recruiting and developing employees that are representative of the diversity of the people of British Columbia.
To support employment equity and diversity in the workplace, we welcome applications from all groups. This includes women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with diversabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to diversity in the Vancouver – False Creek Constituency Office.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to write clearly, concisely and professionally for a wide variety of audiences.
- Awareness and use of social media tools and metrics including: Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. Growth focused and use analytics to provide feedback and improve engagement on social channels, blogs and newsletter campaigns
- Excellent skills in professional and social media writing including ability to target communications to different audiences to fulfil specific purposes.
- Excited about developing video and written content and always learning more about digital trends. Experience in Adobe Creative suite, and other social media content development tools is considered an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with flexibility.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective information and advocacy strategies and to exercise diplomacy and political judgement.
Additional Assets may include
- Ability to interpret and explain complex policies and legislation, to adapt and learn new processes and applications, and to show initiative and ingenuity when confronted with problems or unique situations.
- Knowledge of the structure and policies of the New Democratic Party and a fundamental knowledge of the role of the three levels of government.
- Familiarity with the constituency of Vancouver – False Creek, its communities, demographics, and key issues.
- Ability to travel and work on weekends and holidays as required.
- Specific knowledge of significant cultures and languages within the constituency would be an asset.
As per collective agreement, pro-rated for part-time employees, including extended health and dental plan, BC Public Service Pension Plan, generous paid vacation, paid sick leave, and other paid leave provisions and benefits.
Applications will be accepted until 4:00 pm on Friday, March 12th, 2020
Position Start Date: April 6, 2021