Joined by a room of raucous and energized supporters, Garry Begg was nominated as the BC NDP candidate in Surrey-Guildford today.
A progressive law enforcement leader for 40 years, Begg is the current MLA for Surrey-Guildford and the BC NDP’s legislative whip. He is also the first BC NDP candidate to be nominated ahead of the next scheduled election in Fall 2021.
“I’m honoured to run again as the BC NDP candidate for Surrey-Guildford, and stand with Premier John Horgan,” said Garry Begg. “After 16 years of bad choices and neglect by BC Liberal governments, we’ve made great progress for people in Surrey and south of the Fraser, and there’s much more to come. We can’t let Andrew Wilkinson and the BC Liberals take us back.”
Over the last three years, Begg and the BC NDP have delivered big investments and improvements for people in Surrey, including:
- Removing tolls on the Port Mann and Golden Ears bridges, saving families $1,600 a year
- Tackling school overcrowding by building 2 new elementary schools, 4 additions and 4 seismic upgrades — with 9 more projects on the way
- Opening BC’s first urgent primary care centre, and starting on a 2nd Surrey hospital
- Funding 400 new childcare spaces for Surrey families, and supporting 100 more
- Eliminating MSP premiums and creating the BC Child Opportunity Benefit
- Starting the new Patullo bridge replacement
“Garry Begg is an exceptional MLA who’s focused on making life better for people in Surrey-Guildford,” said Premier John Horgan. “He brings a lifetime of dedicated public service to his role and works tirelessly on behalf of his community. We're lucky to have him as part of the BC NDP team and I support his re-election 110%.”