Victoria - Legislative Assistant - Regular, Full-time
Note this posting is for more than one position. Qualified internal candidates will be considered and interviewed first, before any external candidates are considered.
Joanna Groves, New Democrat BC Government Caucus Operations Director
Legislative Assembly, Victoria
Friday, December 4th at 4:30pm Pacific
- Schedule meetings, make travel arrangements, and provide other logistical support for MLAs in their duties at the Legislature.
- Work with Caucus Members on correspondence related to Member’s Legislative duties, which may include composing and editing routine correspondence, and drafting congratulatory letters and certificates.
- Prepare for signature and maintain record of travel vouchers, claims and leaves of absence for Caucus Members.
- Liaise with Ministry Office staff with regard to providing support to Parliamentary Secretaries in their roles.
- Prepare for signature and maintain record of travel vouchers on behalf of the Parliamentary Secretaries.
- Maintain calendars for Members in their Legislative capacity.
- Coordinate, when asked, support for caucus committee meetings, including taking and circulating minutes and monitoring follow-up action items as required.
- Support caucus outreach capacity in storing and tracking contact information for stakeholders and individuals.
- Establish and maintain appropriate systems in order to monitor the documents and information circulating in the Legislative Assembly and Caucus Office.
- Liaise with Operations Director and co-workers to implement changes to administrative procedures to ensure on-going effectiveness.
- Liaise with Constituency Assistants.
- Screen telephone calls, respond to routine enquiries and receive visitors on behalf of Members.
- Additional duties as assigned.
The New Democrat BC Government Caucus is committed to recruiting and developing employees that are representative of the diversity of the people of British Columbia. To support employment equity and diversity in the workplace, we welcome applications from all groups. This includes women, visible minorities, Indigenous Peoples, persons with diversabilities, persons of diverse sexual orientation, gender identity or expression (LGBTQ2S+), and others who may contribute to diversity in the New Democrat BC Government Caucus.
- Familiarity with the New Democrat Caucus and provincial government policies.
- Superb interpersonal skills, including working with the public, elected officials, senior staff and stakeholders.
- Ability to exercise initiative, work independently and with flexibility.
- Demonstrated skills and experience with Microsoft Office.
- Skilled and experienced at developing and managing contact relations databases, such as Maximizer or similar programs would be an asset.
- Administrative experience would be an asset.
Salary and benefits as per the BCGEU (Caucus Workers’) Collective Agreement, with starting salary ranging from $1,784.77 to $2,033.73 bi-weekly based on previous experience.
Email resume and cover letter to: Joanna.Groves@leg.bc.ca, with “Legislative Assistant application” in the subject line. Please note: Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.