For 12 years, Kevin Falcon helped the BC Liberals give huge tax breaks to the richest British Columbians while cutting services and raising costs on everyone else.
Falcon himself took dozens of actions to make life harder for people, including:
- Increased MSP premiums (as both Finance and Health minister);
- Increased BC Hydro and ICBC rates while raiding ICBC;
- Put tolls on the Port Mann;
- Led the failed effort to defend the HST, which would have shifted the tax burden from corporations to people;
- Started the surplus land sale program that sold off $1 billion in public land - much of it to BC Liberal donors and for less than its assessed value.
And his own words since then show that his ideas haven’t changed:
As a developer in the private sector, he has opposed the Speculation Tax, despite CMHC analysis that says it’s working;
In July 2020, he said people who make over $220,000 a year pay too much tax;
In October 2020, he affirmed his support for tolls on the Port Mann bridge.
In 2017, he even backed Maxime Bernier’s racist campaign for federal Conservative Leader.
BC NDP MLA Garry Begg:
“For 12 years, Kevin Falcon helped the BC Liberals give tax breaks to the richest British Columbians. To pay for it, he increased MSP premiums, Hydro, and ICBC. He put tolls on the Port Mann bridge. Now, he wants to cancel the speculation tax and give a break to the wealthiest 1%. British Columbians will pay the price with service cuts and higher costs, just like last time.”